Friday, November 16, 2007

How hard is this to read?



Hmm - I tried this test on some of the blogs that I read and most are apparently written at an elementary school reading level, with a few at the junior high level. I did finally find one though that the test said is written at the 'Genius' level and one at the University level. Perhaps that explains why I haven't read either of them in several weeks - I'm too lazy to expend that much reading effort. They both happen to be academic blogs, so the reading level is appropriate. I guess I have to wonder if the writing (reading) level of my blog is appropriate to the subject matter? If I'm not writing something academic, should it be written at an easier reading level? Can I make myself write like that? Would I want to? And as for my reading, 'should' I be reading more sites that are 'harder' to read? (Not that I'm sure how they've determined the readability anyway.)

I'm not going to obsess over it. I'm going to keep reading the blogs I find interesting, and writing what I feel like talking about.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your final sentence sums it up. I don't think you can take too much notice of a computer that assesses your blog's level in about one second flat. What does it use as its criteria? Number of words per sentence: number of 'long' words? The best way to judge writing is by the interest and pleasure you derive from reading it.

Stinking Billy said...

I'm fairly new at this blogging lark but I can empathise with what you are saying. There are definitely more questions than answers and, in the face of no answers forthcoming, I have decided to just steam ahead and do it my way.

It's a cliche that you can never please everybody, anyway, but if I do cross some invisible line and stray into the unnacceptable (to whomever?) I would like to be informed.

But somehow, I doubt that ever happens. Blogging appears to be a beast without controls. Anything goes, any choice of subject and any standard of presentation.

Don't worry about it. Just do it.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Billy! Creative writing is such a great subject to learn (in my opinion), it opens up doors to paths we would only think about treading. Just blog away. You can blog well, you can read well. There are so many different blogs in cyberspace, some are almost impossible to understand and others are incredibly well written by all walks of life.

Crystal xx

Debra in France said...

I love blogging, I find just being able to waffle away very therapeutic and if sometimes kind person takes the time and trouble to comment on what I have written, I am overjoyed.

I have really enjoyed reading your blog, and thank you for reading mine.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try it out, there again....hope it loads faster than the last one as I only have a few minutes left until the troops return.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Oh dear me - elementary [my dear Watson]

Penny Pincher said...

I really shouldn't be blogging as I've a busy schedule this week. But this post gave me the impetus to put my thoughts down on this little widget.

Related Posts with Thumbnails