Friday, August 15, 2008

The value of the peerage

I suppose a penguin is no weirder as a military mascot than a goat, but I think it says a lot about the value of the peerage when a penguin (albeit one who's a military mascot) can be knighted! What kind of honor would it be to receive a knighthood, when you know that animals have been made peers of the realm too? Admittedly, despite living in Scotland all his life, the penguin is not a British peer but a Norwegian one.
A citation from King Harald the Fifth of Norway was read out, which described Nils as a penguin "in every way qualified to receive the honour and dignity of knighthood".


AP photo by David Cheskin


7 comments:

Maddy said...

Pause for deep thought.

Expat mum said...

Well he stands to attention really nicely. Very smart!

Squirmy Popple said...

So ridiculous, and yet so very, very cute.

Mmm said...

Hmmm..didn't know that!

Anonymous said...

As you say, very strange.
I wonder what title I could confer on my cats . . . .

ADDY said...

Is he wearing a medal on his right flipper?

Maddy said...

15th of August! I thought you hadn't turned up on my reader in a while.
Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails