Saturday, September 04, 2010

Disabled access

When we were at Chessington, I saw this sign at the top of a flight of stairs. I couldn't read it at first, so went a little closer.



Hmm - is it just me, or is it unusual to have handicapped access via a flight of stairs?



Actually, one of the things I was impressed by at Chessington was that in addition to specifying the minimum height required for each ride, there was information about the degree of mobility required. Although to get on many of the rides, you clearly needed to be able to walk or at least get yourself into your seat, for others there was simply a requirement that once seated you be able to hold yourself upright unaided. It's years since I've been to a theme park in the USA, but I would hope that the ADA laws would ensure the same kind of clarity over here.

3 comments:

ADDY said...

I now have this vision of wheelchairs going upside down on a rollercoaster ride.

nappy valley girl said...

Yes, very strange....

what is your email? Want to get in touch about a possible blogger meetup. Mine is nappyvalleygirl@gmail.com.

Nick said...

Enjoy your blog. I moved to the US (Ala from Australia) >25 years ago. Interesting transition, isn't it.

You might enjoy an older blog post of mine about Prince Charles :)

http://getnickt.blogspot.com/2010/07/charles-in-charge.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails