Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Personalized license plates

Personalized license plates are more of a big deal here in the USA than in the UK I think. Years ago, when I was in grad school, I had a Turkish friend who had the license plate "NAME". Everyone thought it was very funny - him included. He had chosen that word for his license plate because that was his wife's name. Yes, her name was Name - pronounced Nah-may.

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they choose a vanity plate though. There's one I used to see regularly that reads "AIRHED". I suppose maybe she is, if she chooses to advertise it that way! On the other hand, if this one wasn't already taken, I might actually consider it given that DD says I'm the meanest mom in the world because I asked her to tidy her room:


(Source: Great Vanity License Plates.)

This morning DH saw a personalized plate that you would never see in the UK though. At least I hope not. He wasn't quick enough with his camera to get a photo of it: "SHAG 1"

5 comments:

Nicola said...

You know, personalised number plates are one of those things that I miss. They were always a really good source of amusement. Shag 1...don't suppose they owned a carpet business??

Sherms said...

Wow! I don't really think we get into that over here. Especially not ones like that!

Paul said...

Yes, there are some great personal plates in the US. I wish I could remember some of them we see in Florida! Certainly here in Florida, though, you have to keep replacing them every few years!

AliBlahBlah said...

I think that's where coming from a smaller state deginitel helps. CA has too many cars so all the good vanity plates have already been taken. I love trying to work them out. Mine would read Mor$Sens.

Canoez said...

Saw "SHAG 1" again this morning. Of course it is a silver Jaguar.

("Jag-war", "Jag-U-ar", "Jag-Wire"... Whatever)

Related Posts with Thumbnails