Monday, May 21, 2012

Feeding the (rabid?) vermin

Deprived of a pet since both the gerbils died within the last few months, DH and DD have taken to feeding the local vermin. Not content with leaving food out for them, they have been determined to make friends with them.  Much patience last weekend led to Mamma Chipmunk actually coming up on the front porch and eating out of their hands. (DH swears that chipmunks and squirrels don't carry rabies, though the CDC says that any mammal is susceptible.)

This afternoon when DH came home from work, Mamma Chipmunk was waiting for him - she raced over and stood on his foot, looking up as if to say: "Where's my dinner?" A lot like me really, except I don't stand on DH's foot ;-)







5 comments:

Expat mum said...

I love chipmunks and I'd probably allow them to be the exception to my rabies fear, but you never really know.

Paul said...

Chipmunks? I had to get our daughter a cat when she tired of the gerbil! :-)

AliBlahBlah said...

The day I brought home baby tomatoes, watercress, snap peas and peppers was the day we discovered a gopher in our backyard. Of course, my girls immediately wanted to 'tame' him. Little do they know my DH is planning to tame him FOR GOOD!

AliBlahBlah said...

Also - I've yet to see a gerbil in California? Does anyone know the reason for that?

Canoez said...

IIRC, Gerbils are outlawed in CA as they are considered a potentially invasive "wild" animal - out decimating all of the agricultural crops.

Related Posts with Thumbnails