Sunday, December 28, 2008

Mandalas

I was inspired this afternoon by the beautiful artwork at Chewy's blogsite, "The Back of my Headboard," particularly by the gorgeous mandalas she has created. They are done in Photoshop, which I have used a little but not enough to figure out how to create such images myself. (It's the math of the rotations and flips of the picture that's beyond me to figure out on my own.) I was wondering if she would teach me, or if I could find a class - and then as I went back into her archives I found she had linked to a fantastic tutorial on exactly how to create mandalas. (Although I visit her blog from time to time, it wasn't on my RSS feed - if it was I'd've known about the tutorial a couple of months ago.) Thanks Chewy - and you're on my RSS feed now!

Here's the first mandala I've made, from a photo of a snowy tree in our yard:


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

(clapping hands) Eeeee! A Snowy Winter Mandala. I think it's wonderful how we bloggers inspire each other. It was a blooger friend who first pointed me to a woman who painted mandalas. I searched the web and found digital mandalas and became mystified with them.

Stinking Billy said...

AA, the old (very old) song "On the road to Mandalay" is the nearest I can get to Mandala, but chewy, with her "Eeeee!" sounds like she could be an expat geordie, is she? x

Mmm said...

How interesting

Daffodilly said...

Wow I have neve seen this before...superb job!

Maddy said...

Well done you. I don't think I'll manage that myself but I've bookmarked the tutorial for later, just in case a free mo comes my way.
Cheers

Wishing you and yours a thoroughly splendiferous 2009 from me and mine.

Almost American said...

So long as you have Photoshop, the templates and the tutorial make it remarkably easy. The kids helped me make some more yesterday afternoon. The tutorial is many pages long - but only because it contains many screenshots. When you boil it down to the essential steps, there's not as much to it as it seems at first.

Of course, it will still suck up LOTS of time as you figure out what photo you want to use to start with, and which parts of them you want to use!

Billy - Chewy's not a Geordie as far as I know!

Anonymous said...

Nope, I'm American. The closet I can get is a Great Grandmother born in West Derby, Liverpool.

Choosing the section of a photo does take the longest time!

Saz said...

a mandala well I didnt know thats what they were called, so that me today learning something new...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my message if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at www.blogger.com could post it.

Thanks,
James

Almost American said...

James - are you asking about the link to the mandala tutorial? I just tried it and it seems to be working just fine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails