Friday, March 27, 2009

A sign of spring

No daffodils yet, though I saw some this morning on my way to work that looked as though the flowers will be out within the next few days. The sign below at a local school is a different sign of spring.

There are vernal pools nearby with salamanders in them - who apparently tend to commit mass suicide by crossing the nearest roads. I have to admit I've never actually seen any salamanders crossing the road. Perhaps I've unknowingly driven over them? I'm not sure what to do if I see any - turn around and take a different route, or wait for them to cross the road? Clearly, they are not large creatures so the chances are that if I stop to let them cross the person in the car behind me won't see any obvious reason why I've stopped and will try to pass me - possibly killing the salamanders anyway :-(

3 comments:

MikeH said...

Where I grew up, it was the toads who committed mass suicide via the busy road method. Got quite messy at certain times of the year.

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

I have all sorts of weird pictures in my head of salamanders crossing roads, now.

And, of course, if you do see one (or many), you need to get out of the car and take a photo to post here!

Kelly said...

NOw that would be a photo oppoertunity. A salamander crossing the road! Bizarre

Related Posts with Thumbnails